- Channel the ball to the right hand side of the scrum so that the #9 is able to pass with minimum interference from opposing players.
- Position between the loose-head lock and flanker so long as it doesn’t disrupt the stability of the scrum.
- Deliver the ball, preferably when the scrum is stable if not moving forward.
- Be a catching option at #6. Initiate play around the end of the lineout.
- Drive forward if possession is gained, especially if, in lifting, the opposition catchers have left a gap at the back of their lineout.
- Hold the line when the ball is caught elsewhere in the lineout.
Field play (attack)
- Run in support of the #7 (open-side flanker) to ensure continuity of play.
Field play (defence)
- Scrum - see flankers.
- Lineout - move in support of the #7 to tackle the ball carrier cutting back against the initial movement of the ball.